Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Am I the Only One?

Why do we live to work because we must work to live to only turn around after all our hard work and have to continue to work, or realize we have worked our lives away and there is nothing left to enjoy. In a 24 hour day, we get up get ready for work, are in transit to work, spend 8 hours at work, drive home from work, some bring work home, we cook dinner, get ready for bed, and sleep so we can go to work the next day. 5 out of the 7 days of the week. We cram everything we can into the one day that we have left and then Sundays most of us are busy with church and then getting ready for work the next day. Are we really supposed to just work our lives away? Isn't there more than this? At best, during the week we have about 3 or 4 hours a day with our families or the ones we want to be with. Compared to 9 or 10 of those hours being work related. Wonder why families and marriages fall apart, why kids are so messed up these days, why time seems to go by so quickly...I think it is because we are a society driven by work and we don't know anything different. This is something I think about everyday. I see people at the grocery on Saturday and think to myself "the one day you have the entire day to see your family, is the only day you also have to get things done so you can get through the week" its sad to me. Many of us have no other choice. I know I don't want to wake up one day and realize that my whole life has passed and I have just worked it away. I don't want to work until I can retire. I will be too old to do many of the things that I dream of doing. Im not saying its wrong to work, or that everyone should feel this way. These are just some of the thoughts that go through my head. I just feel like there is so much more to life than this rat race, this monotonous zombie-like cycle that we get caught up in.

2 comments:

  1. Elizabeth, I could not agree more! There is so much more of life to breathe in that we often miss worring about/dealing with work when the purpose of work is not to define ourselves but rather to allow us to be able to enjoy life which we rarely take the time to do.

    ReplyDelete